Twitter / StephAntoinette

Sunday, August 30, 2009

I believe that everything happens for a reason.

That every situation we encounter has a purpose.

That every person we meet will mean something.

That every heartbreak will make sense.

It's those days when you feel down and lost and you really have no idea how to get up again that always seem to get me to this point... to the point where I realize that everything happens for a reason. Lately I've been feeling a little down, a little confused/misunderstood. Everything seems to be happening so fast that I haven't had any time to fully catch up to it all. I start school in a week and I already feel behind. I was having a rough day yesterday and decided to call it a night. I woke up this morning, another regular day. I worked at Tasty Yo until about 3 pm and returned home to hang with Cohen. I decided to walk Cohen all the way uptown so he would have his exercise for the day. We encountered three limo drivers hanging out by a hotel parking lot. They began to have small talk with me, very nice guys, and then a minute conversation turned into an hour. And here is where I realized that everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes you need perfect strangers to be placed in your life to remind you how lucky you are. Sometimes you need conversation, attention, laughter...We talked about everything, from politics, to the Caribbean, to the economy, to dogs. These men work three jobs, they struggle to give their family a better life. Their hearts are gigantic. Their smiles... even more so gigantic. They are those men who live for their family, those men who would work nonstop to be able to send their daughter to college. Those men who appreciate the beauty in this life, the beauty that so many of us have overlooked. It is our family, our love, thats the real beauty here. It is not the amount of money you have in your pocket, nor is it the car you drive. It is not the private school you attended nor the number of vacations you have taken... it is so much more. It's holding hands with your wife and watching your children grow in front of your eyes, it's being there for your family through the good and the bad. It's recognizing the fact that money could never buy this, it will never be able to buy this.

I wish so deeply to grow up and help others understand that there is more to this life than money. There are families who have a quarter of what I may have, but they are ten times happier. There are fathers who rarely see their children, who are stuck in meetings or phone conversations and miss out on their lives. I know that changing people is one of the hardest tasks out there. That those people who are big headed, whose money runs their lives, they will never be changed.

This economy has hindered a lot of us, but on the bright side it has woken us up. We live in abundance, but do we cherish what we have? I hope this recession has helped families realize that money means nothing, and family means everything. That money can not buy happiness, it can not buy love, and it can not buy health. It is superficial. Materialistic.

Back to my friends in the parking lot...I am truly grateful for whatever led me there, I am grateful because it truly lifted my spirits and I met some amazing people through it all.




besos

No comments:

Post a Comment